Re: UP B-50-17 boxcar

Bryian Sones

Brian you may be right. I agree there are some strong similarities with the (Tahoe) Barber Lateral Motion Truck. There are two photos on the Sunshine data sheets for the U.P B-50-17 Rebuilt. The first one being U.P. 181669, Columbus NE, Jan 1967, Frank Peacock and the second being U.P. No. 180800 Grand Island NE Aug 1966 Frank Peacock. I looked at the (Tahoe) Barber Lateral Motion Truck first. My conscern with it in relation to the photo is the journal doors appear to me to be slightly different. More like the s-1. Also the side frame openings in the prototype photo don't appear to be formed inward near the spring housing. The frame opening resembles the s-1 in that case too. However my interoperation of the opening could be due to the angle of the shot. Photo 2  side frames do seem to match the  (Tahoe) Barber Lateral Motion Truck but I still think the journal doors are different. Ted Culotta did the masters for the sunshine car.  He is pretty good with responding if you have questions. Arnold I would shoot him an email too. Though I think what Brian is indicating is correct there just seems to be some slight diiffernces in Tahoe truck and the photo.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta CA

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:37 AM, "brianleppert@... [STMFC]" wrote:

The Union Pacific B-50-17 rebuilt boxcars rode on trucks with cast steel side frames with Barber Lateral Motion Devises.  Photos of these boxcars in Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars article #13, June 2004 RMC show a variety of side frame shapes.  One of these is accurately modeled by Tahoe Model Works' TMW-109/209 Barber Lateral Motion 50-Ton Truck.

These can be seen at  resincarworks.com/tahoe.htm

These are also accurate trucks for Owl Mountain Models' new SP F-50-10 and F-50-12 flat cars, OMM #2003 and #2005.

I have seen no photos of UP B-50-17 cars on Barber S-1-L trucks.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV