Re: NYC Steel Gondola photo

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bob,

I caught it, but refrained from mentioning same for fear of offending somebody. Believe it or not, it happened to me.

Many years ago I did some assembly work for Grandtline, building air pumps up from several pieces. They were to be used as investments for lost wax castings on a D&RGW narrow gauge 2-8-2. I was allowed to keep any that were defective, and a lot of them lost the tiny little piston during casting or in handling/assembly. Some of the defects were glued together, weathered up and used as a gondola load. When I took this car to the club, several die-hard steam fans were really insulted and angry that I would commit such sacrilege!

I still have the load, and could put it into another gondola someday. I still have a mess of the failures, and might have enough to do two cars. 😈

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sep 30, 2017, at 12:24 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Did anyone notice the steam engine boiler in the second gondola?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA