Location Of Reporting Marks

thecitrusbelt@...

I know that in 1909 the Master Car Builders' issued a standard requiring reporting marks to be located at left end of a car's side. But every once or so I see a photo of a car with the reporting marks on the right end, such as this example:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2713914

And while this photo was taken in 1977 (admittedly past our group's time frame) I believe the shadow keystone herald was used from about 1954 to the early 1960s, which is within our time frame.

So, was the original Master Car Builders' standard replaced or relaxed at some point?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA