Re: Location Of Reporting Marks

naptownprr

From: STMFC@... on behalf of Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:41 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Location Of Reporting Marks

The Pennsy and  a few other roads changed the position of the reporting marks on double door cars to make them easier to read when both doors were open.

Jim Hunter

I know that in 1909 the Master Car Builders' issued a standard requiring reporting marks to be located at left end of a car's side. But every once or so I see a photo of a car with the reporting marks on the right end, such as this example:

      It is important to recognize that a "standard" was not necessarily REQUIRED to be followed. It was common for double-door cars to have the reporting marks to the right of the car door; many railroads did that, including SP (with 40-ft. DD cars, anyway).
       There were lots of "standard" lettering arrangements that individual railroads could, and did, violate as they saw fit

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press,! Berkeley, CA
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history