Re: Weight Of A Freight Car Wheel?

Jeff Coleman

Bob
I'm not sure you'd see individual wheels as a car load but rather a wheel set. Two wheel plates and axle.
33" 50 ton = 2200 lbs & 33" 70 ton 2400
lbs. These weights would be for new. Worn would only reduce weight by avgerage 100 lbs per set.

Jeff Coleman

On Oct 3, 2017 1:23 AM, "thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

How much would a 33-inch freight car wheel weigh, both new and worn, on average? I appreciate allowances need to be made for wheel style, manufacturer and era, but let's say an "average" wheel in the steam-diesel transition era.

I recall seeing a figure of 800 pounds in the distant past, but I have no idea if that is accurate.

The reason I ask is to settle a debate about how many wheels could be carried in a freight car with a fifty ton capacity.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA