Re: Weight Of A Freight Car Wheel?

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Most likely because it was less cost to leave the steam line in place than to pay the labor costs to remove it. Just a guess.

Another guess is that the steam line remained to serve the thawing of wheelsets that may have frozen to the steel support racks. Maybe...

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Oct 3, 2017, at 12:53 PM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I find it interesting that the Pennsy found reason to retain the steam line on this car:

http://www.billspennsyphotos.com/photos/undefined/PRR%20F45%20Flat%20Car%20-491165%20E22700%20BLT%203-26%20Wheel%20Loaded%201024x.jpg

  I suppose it makes sense if the normal route is to a passenger car maintenance facility, it would allow adding the car to a deadhead move and still maintain heat to the cars.

Dennis Storzek