Re: Weight Of A Freight Car Wheel?

Rhbale@...

It is my understanding that modern 33-inch freight car wheels weigh 900 to 1,000 each. An axle is in the same neighborhood so a wheelset of two wheels and one axle would be in the range of 2,700 to 3,000 lbs.
RHB

In a message dated 10/2/2017 10:23:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

How much would a 33-inch freight car wheel weigh, both new and worn, on average? I appreciate allowances need to be made for wheel style, manufacturer and era, but let's say an "average" wheel in the steam-diesel transition era.

I recall seeing a figure of 800 pounds in the distant past, but I have no idea if that is accurate.

The reason I ask is to settle a debate about how many wheels could be carried in a freight car with a fifty ton capacity.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA