Re: Tool maintenance

Jim Betz

Schuyler,

  You've gotten some good recommendations for prevention - various
light oils all work well.  Put a small amount of some in a soft cloth
(I use cotton) and wipe it across the surface of the tool - if you can
see any look of "wetness" it was enough ... you do not need enough
that the tool feels oily and transfers oil to your fingers when you
handle it (wipe off the excess!).

                                                  ****

  But ... I didn't see any one ask this question ...

  If I understand correctly you had some tools that - in just a couple of
weeks got rusty.  And that these are tools that you've been using for a
long time and regularly and that they don't get rusty.

  ===> You should be asking your self "what was different for that
            two weeks?".

  Two weeks is not a lot of time and normal moisture should not
normally attack a tool in that amount of time.  Is it possible that
you had some sort of corrosive in the air (and near your workbench)
- such as an open bottle of paint thinner, or any other 'acid' (not an
actual acid as much as anything that might have accelerated the
rust rate).  Some of the products that are in that category would
be ACC, vinegar, any paint thinner, etc.  Products that I would not
expect to cause a tool to corrode would be acrylic paints (nor
most thinner based paints but just due to the amount of thinner
in them), white glue (or KK), etc.  One product that I don't know
which category it would fall into would be styrene glues such as
Tenax, etc.  Although 'just' water in a container would create
a certain amount of humidity ... I wouldn't expect that to cause
a problem (and I often have a plastic cup of water on my bench
that dries out due to time and temperature.  Similarly - I would
not be quick to point the finger at ACC ... simply because it is
so highly volatile that I can't imagine it affecting any tools on
the bench even if it was right next to the tools.

  Was there something that when you got back to your bench
that had dried out?
                             - Jim B.