Re: Freight Car Repair Scene: Some further thoughts about the photo

Dave Sarther

My first thought on enlarging this photo was what an exquisite photo Jack Delano snapped for posterity  Photos of this caliber are priceless.  Jack Delano was a professional of the highest caliber.  He knew how to capture "working" people at work using black and white film to optimize its best results.  To me he is the Ansel Adams of Railroading.

From the photo it is quite easy to see that the job and life of a car repair man was far from glamorous and potentially deadly.  This is a feature that comes through in many of the Delano photos.  I had a grandfather who was a switchman in the Chicago stock yards and had a missing finger to prove it. 
But once I had a chance to study the enlarged photo a bit further, I saw the "towing staple" (not certain that is the correct term, however) along the bottom row of rivets.  (I know that Rails Unlimited sells "towing staples" in O-Scale. A must detail for modelers of larger scales.)  Another detail I saw for the first time in a photo is why a poling pocket is so difficult to add to a freight car model.  The pocket extends out a bit proud from the side of the car and has a tapered end disappearing into the sill. Prior to this I was modeling the poling pocket by using a sliver of styrene tubing on the car end.  No more!

Now for a few questions. 
     What is the slightly raised bracket or pocket along the sill near the jack pole resting on the car side?
     Would one car man have been able to make the repair of a flat wheel or bad axle as shown here?

Thanks,  Dave S    Tucson, Arizona (The heart of the Sonoran Desert)

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sat, Oct 21, 2017 11:25 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Freigh Car Repair Scene

Notice that the jack is right under a poling pocket  -  another
dangerous thing outlawed eventually.   And really, really hard to model!

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.