Re: Boxcars in grain service

Todd Sullivan

Hi Paul,

I worked a Car Distributor Clerk job in late 1961 for a couple of weeks (I was an extra board clerk), and I was told that anytime I could assign a foreign road car that was suitable for the load that the customer wanted to ship, provided that the car would be going toward its home road territory, I should use that car.  This rule of thumb was in conformance with the ICC car service rules in effect at the time, got the foreign road car headed home quickly (thus reducing the per diem charges we had to pay) and conserved our own supply of cars.

I think the Car Service Rules were discussed at length on this list at least once in the past 12-18 months, so you might also search for that message thread.

Todd Sullivan