Re: The UTLX X tankers

Bruce Smith

Dave,

In part I based this on post #135723 by Elden Gatwood, as well as repeated references by others over the years on this list that ARA class II/ICC class 102 were restricted because of their construction from carrying certain cargos.  My point would be that the major use of tank cars post WWII was for refined petroleum products and thus the utility of a class II car would be reduced, and if you modeled one or more of these cars (as I certainly intend to do for my 1944 timeframe) then they need to be in the correct service (in my case, it’s no issue as I will have solid trains of crude oil).

Ultimately, the question comes down to how many of these cars does a modeler need in any given era.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Oct 29, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bruce:

Do you have a reference?

Both gasoline and kerosene are clearly allowed in Spec II cars in the 1920 ARA Specification for Tank Cars.

Many "inflammable" liquids were still permitted in Spec II cars in the 1938 ICC regs (CFR Title 49) as long as they met the pressure requirements and did not have anchored tank heads (an obsolete construction method largely gone by the teens).  Regardless, kerosene was not considered an "inflammable" at that time based on the table of such commodities in the ICC regs.

Neither Spec II or Spec III cars could be used for liquids with very high vapor pressures, although these regs were complicated because they could vary seasonally (because of temperature effects on tank pressure).  Casinghead gasoline is a good example I believe.

If things changed later on, I am not aware of it.  The 1949 version of the Title 49 regs is available on-line, but I have to confess I have not taken the time to slog through them (916 pages in all).

Even if the use of Spec II cars for things like gasoline eventually became restricted, that would not have diminished their utility.  As Steve described, many of the surviving Class X cars in the 1955 tariff book had been retrofitted with heater coils; very useful for the more viscous commodities.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA