Re: Livestock Car: NP 81280

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

These NP wood stock cars lasted a long time after livestock movements generally ceased.  In the 1970s, the NP and then BN used the NP them for hauling ties for roadbed improvement projects.  I photographed quite a few of them on my trips West in 1974 and 1977.

The car is essentially the Central Valley model, except that CV made the car a bit wider than the prototype.  If that bothers anyone interested in building one, the NP Society has resin ends (the hardest part to narrow) for sale, and I believe the rest is done by narrowing the roof at the center and the floor on the long edges.  Notice that the prototype in the photo you found has had its ladders shortened and some extra grabs added to the ends.

Todd Sullivan