getting straight stripes with those transfers than I usually do with
wet decals.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 8:19 PM, pardiew001 PARDIEW001@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

It is disappointing to hesr of the troubles with the revrrse print decsls.  I checed with my friend and this process was used  on his lstest project (Alco PAs for Southern Pacific).  Of course this was done ny tge Korean builder and I'm sute there was a lesrning curve.  This same person applied the decals to the W&R gondola years ago and was quite impressed.

Shloud this process prove to br viable I don't think thst the decal manufactures would be receptive to converting.  As fsr as the  decals snugglong down over rivits and seams he did not see sny problems.  The only thing ieft is the ink.

Bill Pardie

-------- Original message --------
From: "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date: 11/1/17 1:05 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Decals

Bill Pardie wrote:
"He showed me some examples of his latest E Unit project.  A process called "reverse printing" was used for the numbers in the number boards (the buyer could customize the engine for a specific train). A rather famous detailer of "O" scale engines uses this process which he prints up himself.  W&R Enterprises used this process on their Rio Grande gondola process years ago.

With this process only the lettering is transferred to the model (no decal film).  I don't know how this works over rivets but will try to find out.  Seems like a real time saver in trimming the decals and hiding the surrounding film.

Is anyone familiar with this process?"

Ben Hom replied:

Not a fan of it.  Numbered a brass LIRR cabin car using this system and had a very rough time.  Not having to deal with decal film is a plus and the lettering looks good once you get it on the model; however, the lettering is extremely fragile and great care must be taken while positioning the lettering or it will fall apart.  The cabin car in question went through three different numbers before I got satisfactory results, even though I was lettring over a smooth surface with no raised detail..

This would be far from my first choice for lettering any model.

Ben Hom

     Full agreement. I lettered one of the W&R gondolas (D&RGW) awhile back and it was a real fight with the lettering. I can tell you I do NOT want to do that again. Ended up fine, but during the process . . . wow.

Publishers of books on railroad history