Re: Hundman's Virginian box car build

Benjamin Hom

Scott Haycock asked:
"In the Feb. [2005] issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman presented an article with photos and drawings of the Virginian class BX-10 box car. In the next four issues, he published articles on scratchbuilding a model of this car, based on his plans.

The original article provided no research information on this series of cars, so I'm wondering if there is more information out there on these cars. I've gone through my library, and looked online, but can find nothing relevant to modeling these cars.

What I have found is that these cars are similar to the Katy SS cars offered in model from by Speedwitch. While the underframe (at least from Hundman's drawing), and the ends are completely different, the sides are a very close match, and the roof appears to be the same Standard Railway Equipment Co. "Standard Pressed Steel" roof."

I agree with Bill - while superficially similar to both Ted's Katy cars and the Accurail SS boxcars, these cars are significantly lower in height (IH 8 ft 6 in or 8 ft 7 in IIRC), making their overall proportions different.  Larry Smith did stand-in models of these cars using Accurail models in the October 2004 issue of Model RailroadING, and they just don't look right, especially the model of an early car with the large letterboard.  The article contains five prototype photos of these cars which may help.

Ben Hom