Re: Hundman's Virginian box car build

Eric Hansmann

I recall the article and was interested in trying the techniques, but then I looked up the car series in the 1943 ORER and was disappointed with the small quantity of these cars in-service. The October 1926 ORER lists 248.

While we all play favorites, I was disappointed that such a low quantity prototype was chosen for the MM article. Heck, the W&LE built 1000 single-sheathed box cars in their 27000-27999 series that were as interesting as the Virginian cars but more numerous. The modeling challenge would have been (and still is) the vertical corrugated steel ends.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:41 AM
To: Steam Era Freight Cars
Subject: [STMFC] Hundman's Virginian box car build

In the Feb., 2015 issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman presented an article with photos and drawings of the Virginian class BX-10 box car. In the next four issues, he published articles on scratchbuilding a model of this car, based on his plans.

The original article provided no research information on this series of cars, so I'm wondering if there is more information out there on these cars. I've gone through my library, and looked online, but can find nothing relevant to modeling these cars.

What I have found is that these cars are similar to the Katy SS cars offered in model from by Speedwitch. While the underframe (at least from Hundman's drawing), and the ends are completely different, the sides are a very close match, and the roof appears to be the same Standard Railway Equipment Co. "Standard Pressed Steel" roof.

So, my questions are:

Does anyone have more info on these Virginian cars?

Does anyone know of a source for drawings of this particular roof?

And, has anyone seen the 3 vertical post end on the Virginian cars anywhere else? 

TIA, 

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.