Re: UP Boxcar Paint and Lettering

Bryian Sones

Hi Steve,

That paint scheme did exist in the1950's. There are photo of that scheme on boxcar B-50-21 page 6 and boxcar b-50-27 page7 of the book called "UP Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment Volume 2" by Lou Schmitz. The question is though;"How accurate do you want the model to be?" The red caboose car is a good starting representation for the 1937 AAR 40', single door boxcar for many railroads. However, like many model manufacturers that have produced this car in U.P. paint schemes their models lack the alternating rivet detail patter that many of the U.P. cars had during that era.  You can add this patter using the Micro scale or Archer resin rivet patter decals with pretty good results. It is tedious work to get it right but it can be done.

If you are looking for more accurate U.P. boxcars for the 1950's you would mainly be looking for resin cars. Very few plastic manufacturers have produced accurate or near close U.P. boxcars in the 1950 time period. Marklin/Trix makes a vey good U.P. Boxcar that is a very good starting point with alternating rivet pattern. The glaring issue with the car is the roof pattern is not correct. There are several article written on upgrading this car to prototype accuracy.

Bryian Sones.
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta CA.

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 7:09 AM, "stevehprr@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I need some Union Pacific lettering scheme assistance. My cars to build pile has gotten down to a Red Caboose 1937 AAR 40', single door, 10' high boxcar with factory UP paint and lettering. My UP reference material is meager. I can't verify if the lettering scheme on this car would have been seen in 1953. All lettering is yellow. To the left of the door the lettering is all gothic and seems to be what I would expect. However, to the right of the door is what I am questioning. There is the angled, up the right, "Be Specific-ship UNION PACIFIC" which I have commonly seen, but in the upper corner of this area, next to the door, is a yellow UP crest with "OVERLAND" written across it. This crest is what I have not seen in photos.

Red Caboose chose "OM 8-54" for the reweigh scale and date. If the rest of the scheme is accurate, I can easily backdate the scale info.

Would this scheme have been seen in 1953? A photo would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help!

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL