Re: UP Boxcar Paint and Lettering

Bryian Sones

Yes, Tim and Charles you are are correct regarding the ACR rivets . I was not necessarily referring to that effect.  That's why I didn't call the alternating rivets out in that manner. As Tim mention there is an alternating rivet pattern loosely scattered throughout the sides of the car as Tim mentioned and as I recall too but not the ACR pattern. As I said it is tedious work to duplicate this look because the Red Caboose car lacks these rivets. The Book I made reference to has the b-50-21 in the Overland Route Paint scheme in color. The photo is made reference to being take in Fremont Nebraska in Dec. 29th 1955. It's tough to see those extra rivets from that photo though. I noticed it while painting a Resin 50-21 many yers ago and it prompted me to start researching it.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta CA

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:30 PM, "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Steve

This was a UP "trademark protection" car. As long as UP continued to use that
emblem on SOMETHING they could defend their claim to the trademark. There were
very, very few such cars. It is a practice UP has attempted to carry over to
"fallen flags" as well, but with limited success.

As someone mentioned the UP cars had thinner side panels made of Cor-Ten steel
(a copper alloy) and so each panel had an additional vertical post and a line of
rivets to the post in the center of each panel - this is called the "Alternate
Center Rivet" style.

Tim O'Connor

I need some Union Pacific lettering scheme assistance. My cars to build pile has gotten down to a Red Caboose 1937 AAR 40', single door, 10' high boxcar with factory UP paint and lettering. My UP reference material is meager. I can't verify if the lettering scheme on this car would have been seen in 1953. All lettering is yellow. To the left of the door the lettering is all gothic and seems to be what I would expect. However, to the right of the door is what I am questioning. There is the angled, up the right, "Be Specific-ship UNION PACIFIC" which I have commonly seen, but in the upper corner of this area, next to the door, is a yellow UP crest with "OVERLAND" written across it. This crest is what I have not seen in photos.

Red Caboose chose "OM 8-54" for the reweigh scale and date. If the rest of the scheme is accurate, I can easily backdate the scale info.

Would this scheme have been seen in 1953? A photo would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help!

Steve Hoxie