P&WV hopper lettering - was Gondola Load: What Is It?

Eric Hansmann

Thanks for pointing out these images, Charlie. A few Pre-Depression Era modelers find images like these and share with each other but we forget where we found the originals. The Reading gon is interesting as it still wears mid-1920s style lettering with the hardware inventory on the right side of the car. A 1937 date means these have not been repainted in about a decade.

Another image in that string reveals P&WV hoppers with original early-to-mid 1920s lettering. These are on the RIP track with many other hoppers that may be in the rebuilding process. Here's the image.

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/WreckDerailmentsandDamage/Metal_Coils_At_Rook_004_Web.html

A few hoppers on the right have the full road name lettering across the top of the car side. I knew the long road name was applied in the early 1920s but did not know how long the lettering style was used.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

On November 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM "Charles Tapper charlestapper@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

This is an insurance photo for a shifted load at Avella Pa, on the P&WV , on March 27th 1937, per the P&WV Hiline website. There are two gons involved and I would say the shifted loads are most likely steel, not aluminum. Here are some links:

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/WreckDerailmentsandDamage/Metal_Coils_At_Avella_001_Web.html