Re: P&WV hopper lettering - was Gondola Load: What Is It?

Dave Parker

I have to disagree slightly with Eric about the lettering on the RDG 27935 gon.  The right-hand side does contain the hardware inventory found in pre-1927 lettering schemes.  Just above the repack stencil and obscured by chalk marks is the length data, including (presumably) the inside length.  To the left of that, you can make out the CAPY 863 CU FT stencil.  So, this end of the car contains the minimal right-side data required  by the 1927 ARA standard for a gon (CU FT and IL), just in an outdated format.

If you look closely at the far end of the car, you can make out the three lines of weight data (CAPY, LD LMT, LT WT) and the reweigh stencil (maybe 1935?), all in accord with the 1927 standard.  These appear to be in fresher paint than the stencils on the right, while the 1937 repack stencil is clearly the freshest of all.

As an early-1930s modeler, I avidly collect images such as this one that show the transition from the pre- to post-1927 standards.  I am finding an increasing number of cars much like this one, with a mix of the "old" and the "new" that reflect only partial repainting and restenciling to bring cars into compliance with the 1927 lettering standards.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Friday, November 24, 2017 6:28 AM, "Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Thanks for pointing out these images, Charlie. A few Pre-Depression Era modelers find images like these and share with each other but we forget where we found the originals. The Reading gon is interesting as it still wears mid-1920s style lettering with the hardware inventory on the right side of the car. A 1937 date means these have not been repainted in about a decade.
Another image in that string reveals P&WV hoppers with original early-to-mid 1920s lettering. These are on the RIP track with many other hoppers that may be in the rebuilding process. Here's the image.

A few hoppers on the right have the full road name lettering across the top of the car side. I knew the long road name was applied in the early 1920s but did not know how long the lettering style was used.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On November 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM "Charles Tapper charlestapper@... [STMFC]" wrote:

This is an insurance photo for a shifted load at Avella Pa, on the P&WV , on March 27th 1937, per the P&WV Hiline website. There are two gons involved and I would say the shifted loads are most likely steel, not aluminum. Here are some links:

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/WreckDerailmentsandDamage/Metal_Coils_At_Avella_001_Web.html