Re: P&WV hopper lettering - was Gondola Load: What Is It?

Ray Breyer

>>I think this RDG car in 1937 is the latest example of the mixed scheme that I have seen.
>>Dave Parker

Hi Dave,

Except that it's not; that's just how the Reading lettered their cars in the 1930s. I just reviewed my P&R/Reading file, and the pre-1927 lettering was significantly different. It seems as though the Reading liked to keep appliance data on their cars, and had multiple lines of it on their cars far longer than most roads, which opted to simplify their lettering through the 1930s and 1940s.

I'll send you a few photos offlist in a minute.

To the rest of the group: Dave and I have been talking about mixed lettering schemes off and on for a few weeks, and can't come to a consensus. Honestly, I'm not seeing it at all after the early 1920s. When the first standards came out in the first decade of the 20th Century they were common, and sometimes through the early 1920s as railroads upgraded or changed their lettering standards. This is shown through the earlier photos in the DL&W company photo collection, among other places. But I'm not finding evidence for it through the late 1920s and into the Depression years. And given that wood cars would need to be rebuilt, fixed and repainted every ten years or so, there's not a large window of opportunity to see the phenomena if it did happen; they'd all certainly be long gone by 1937.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL