Re: P&WV hopper lettering - was Gondola Load: What Is It?

Dave Parker

Ray:

Please note that I didn't say it was the latest example in existence, only that I have seen.

Also, I thought it was implicit but of course railroads could continue to put appliance data on the cars sides, or on the ends.  The 1927 standard only mandated the minimum that needed to applied to the right side of the car.  For a gondola, this was IL, CU FT, BLT date, repack stencil and, if used by the road, car class.

Last, I'm not sure you and I are completely on the same page about these "mixed" lettering schemes.  I am only concerned with combinations of the 1920 and 1927 ARA standards, having little interest in what came before 1920.  But, if you want to see some really nice examples of what I'm talking about, review the two 6-27-1930 yards shots in Newark.  After all, you sent them to me.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Friday, November 24, 2017 10:20 AM, "Ray Breyer rtbsvrr69@... [STMFC]" wrote:

>>I think this RDG car in 1937 is the latest example of the mixed scheme that I have seen.
>>Dave Parker

Hi Dave,

Except that it's not; that's just how the Reading lettered their cars in the 1930s. I just reviewed my P&R/Reading file, and the pre-1927 lettering was significantly different. It seems as though the Reading liked to keep appliance data on their cars, and had multiple lines of it on their cars far longer than most roads, which opted to simplify their lettering through the 1930s and 1940s.

I'll send you a few photos offlist in a minute.

To the rest of the group: Dave and I have been talking about mixed lettering schemes off and on for a few weeks, and can't come to a consensus. Honestly, I'm not seeing it at all after the early 1920s. When the first standards came out in the first decade of the 20th Century they were common, and sometimes through the early 1920s as railroads upgraded or changed their lettering standards. This is shown through the earlier photos in the DL&W company photo collection, among other places. But I'm not finding evidence for it through the late 1920s and into the Depression years. And given that wood cars would need to be rebuilt, fixed and repainted every ten years or so, there's not a large window of opportunity to see the phenomena if it did happen; they'd all certainly be long gone by 1937.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL