Re: Airbrush Nozzle Reamer

Douglas Harding

Bob I would approach with caution, with concerns about possible damage. The first item looks to have a flat spot machined into the needle, creating a sharp edge for “scraping” the inside of the airbrush head. The scraping action could impact the smooth finish. Notice the second item is specific to certain Badger models, but not every airbrush Badger offers, specifically those designed for acrylics like the Anthem 155. I think the taper of the needle and the “head” differ from airbrush to airbrush and between manufacturers. For any reamer to work properly without damage, it would have to match the specs, angle and taper, of the airbrush head.

In conversations (some years ago) with Badger reps when they came out with their new airbrushes designed for acrylic paint, they specifically stated the needle and head taper had been redesigned to allow better flow of the heavier bodied acrylic paints. I can see the difference in the needle between my Badger 200 and 155.

Proper cleaning is the best maintenance for any airbrush. Acrylics can be a problem as they dry so quickly. My spray booth is sitting next to a laundry tub in my basement, so I can run hot water though as soon as I finish painting. When away from the booth I keep a bucket of water handy, just stick the brush in the water and spray. A bottle of airbrush cleaner is also handy to keep near by and I’ve learned to use it religiously.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:49 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Airbrush Nozzle Reamer

Has anyone tried a tool such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Airbrush-Nozzle-Cleaning-Needle/dp/B004KNFP26

or this:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/badger-cleaning-reamers-for-heads-of-model-100,-150-200-airbrush-accessory-50060

Good tool? Bad tool? Precautions?

And, yes, if you are disciplined about cleaning your airbrush as you are painting one probably doesn't need this tool.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.