2018 Shake'n'Take sign up

Schuyler Larrabee

OK, the signup for the 2018 Shake’n’Take is open, a day earlier than I anticipated doing this since Greg sent out his “I’m not doing it, Schuyler is” note.

The car is an ERIE 95000 series 40’ double door box car. Built 1941-42.  I’ve been working from the ACF drawings obtained from the St. Louis Museum of Transportation Library with the help of Ed Hawkins.  There are photos available on George Elwood’s Fallen Flags web site, so you can see what a handsome car you’ll end up with.  (OK, I’m an ERIE fan, you thought I’d say something else?)

These cars were, when built, decorated with the small ERIE diamond, black roof and ends, but shortly after they were built, they were repainted, probably all in box car red, with the 6’ ERIE diamond.  They served on the ERIE until in the late 50s (I believe) and some of them were reconditioned (though it’s hard to see what was done) and bought by the Northern Pacific.

Most of the work on this model involves the underframe, as the underframe that comes with the donated kit is simply wrong.  But there are revised side sills and roof walk to see on the top side of the car.

We have good luck with donated parts for this car, and many of the parts will be included in the box I’ll be handing out.  The list of firms and people who’ve donated and helped out is long.  Some custom parts will be available from the makers after January, but most will have to be located by the modelers not signing up for the Cocoa Beach Shake’n’Take event.

As of right now. 9:14 PM Monday, I have 19 requests to participate.  I have 36 kits to hand out, and as Greg’s done in the past, ten are reserved for people at Cocoa Beach. That leaves seven open slots.

Please reply to this address.  I don’t see email to this address until later in the day, generally after 700 PM, so I will take the next seven emails in order.  I’ll send you back a confirmation when I get this list together.

I should mention that I have a close friend in the hospital at the moment, so I may not get to things as quickly as I might.  Please be patient.

Thanks.

Schuyler