Re: Dump cars

Steve SANDIFER

Santa Fe inherited some 26’ 20 cubic yard by Western Wheeled Scraper built in 1910, 1912, and 1913 from the Orient and the CO&W.

They had another group of 100 30’ 20 yard WWS built in 1924 (all had 4 dump cylinders)

Another 100 30 yard built in 1924 by Clark Car Co (the W&R model)

100 35’ 30 cu. yard Magor built in 1928. (Also by W&R in HO brass)

They had no new ones until 1956 with the purchase of 50 35’ 30 cu yd. Magor. , 1958 25 more and 1959 15 more.

I have acquired one of the Clark W&R cars and seek more of that and the 1928 Magor at an affordable price.

Plans and lots of photos of the Magor are readily available and would make a good Shapeways project.

Overland produced a model of a Paccar dump car that I see from time to time in the $125-175 range. It closely resembles the Magor of 1956

The Walthers is a Difco, 50 yard, about 1964-65 best I can tell

Rio Grand Models did a 12 yard Western Wheeled Scraper model.

The Car Works did a brass Western 20 yard car which is possibly like the ones ATSF inherited – no photos are known to exist in ATSF paint.

J. Stephen Sandifer