From: "'Jeff Eggert' ophoto@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date: 12/1/17 23:16 (GMT-05:00)
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Hatched Stock Car

Curious as to what the long rectangular hatch-like structures are for on the roofs of the stock cars in this photo from the CNWHS Archives.  End car appears to be CNW 17051 built 1907 by Haskell & Barker.  A similar looking car CNW 18735 built 1926 by Illinois Car & Manufacturing Co. says “Special Stock” on the upper right panel.  End doors leads me to guess this is a double deck car.   I am are not sure what the term special stock stands for either.

https://www.facebook.com/196429967120072/photos/a.869904963105899.1073741826.196429967120072/1493712130725176/?type=3&theater

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Eggert