Re: Removable loads in freight cars - stupid question

Bryian Sones

There are lots of ways to do it, Some of the most common ways to do it is to:
1) Make sure the load can be removed without any resistance
2) Insert/glue a metal object in the middle of the load such as a scrap piece of metal, nut, washer, nail etc.
3) camouflage the metal insert so it is not noticeable to the eye and it blends in with your load.
4) locate a neodymium magnet. These are strong magnets. You can find these magnets on Ebay, There are some seller that sell them with a ring loop handle (They look like an old gag buzzer ring) Use this to remove your loads. You can use whatever magnet setup you want. I just like these because they look cool and you wont loose it or drop it because it is attached to your finger with the ring loop.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, December 11, 2017 10:31 AM, "Rod Miller rod@... [STMFC]" wrote:

On 12/11/17 9:44 AM, Rod Miller rod@... [STMFC] wrote:
> On 12/10/17 8:29 PM, 'Richard Stern' rjs8@... [STMFC] wrote:
>>

>> I am reporting having done something dumb.  I’ve got a number of Caswell
>> gondolas with removable loads of gravel.  Problem is I have to lift the car off
>> the tracks and turn it over to drop the load out.  I was looking for a way to
>> make the loads magnetic and glued some supermagnets to the underside of the
>> load, planning to use a large arch magnet to pull them out.
>>
>> And of course, I discovered that the magnets under the load were highly
>> attracted to the steel weights in the bottom of the car.  Meaning that when I
>> used the arch magnet it lifted the entire car off the track.  And pulling the
>> load out of the car became much more difficult than before, since it was held by
>> the steel weight.  All of which should have been foreseeable and makes me feel
>> really dummmbbb.
>>
>> So I’m looking for some solutions.  How do you remove a solid cast
>> sand/gravel/coal type load from a gondola without taking the car off the
>> tracks?  Small wires embedded in the load to grab on to?  Some other sort of
>> magnetic force?  Spudgers inserted around the edges of the load?  Other?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rick
>
> I have several ore loads for my SP GS gons. Extruded foam is
> cut to fit loosely in the car, then shaped for the top profile,
> painted, and covered with
> the load material. Do not make the depth of the foam such that
> it sits on the floor of the car, you want to glue strips about
> 1/4 way from the end to raise the load as needed. Then to remove
> the load, just push down on one end. It will pivot on the strips
> and tilt up allowing you to grab it and remove it.

Forgot to point out that the strips have to be placed laterally
to the load. I uploaded photos to my website. The modeling is
2-rail O scale. See:

www.rodmiller.com/images/GS_gon_load1.jpg
www.rodmiller.com/images/GS_gon_load2.jpg
www.rodmiller.com/images/GS_gon_load3.jpg