Re: Removable loads in freight cars - stupid question

Hi Rick,

  I use the wire hook method. Yep... old school... but simple and cost effective. I use floral wire off a spool.  I drill a hole through the load... insert wire and bend to a hook or "u" shape... pull wire so it touches the load... nip off the bottom leaving about an inch of wire... bend and super glue to underside of load. Heavily spray paint the top of the load to match the type of load and coat... with gravel in your case. The hook is nearly invisible. I use bamboo skewers to uncouple my cars so these are readily available on the layout and work great to lift out the removable loads. So far none of my operators have noticed the wire hooks or found them intrusive.

Gordon Spalty