Re: Paint scheme

Todd Sullivan

Nelson, Jared -

I should have added that the photo I referred to in the Pennsy Steam Years Vol 1 is dated 1948.  I also have the GN Color Guide, and the photos of the USRA and other double sheathed cars either were taken in the 1960s, or look like they were, judging from many other photos in books and color slides in my collection.  The caption for GN X5216 states that the switch from black ends and roof occurred in the early 1950s, which seems right.  I build one of Westerfield's GN double door auto boxcar kits many years ago and painted it in the all Mineral Red scheme with a shop date of 1953, and I'm pretty certain I researched the paint change date before I painted and decaled that model.

Todd Sullivan