Re: NKP 4321: Uncommon Or Not?

Ray Breyer

It's a rebuild double sheathed car actually; the NKP only ever owned 1,200 single sheathed cars (1,000 Fowlers and 200 war emergency cars).

Auto boxcars with end doors aren't rare. Ones with single side doors are.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, December 17, 2017, 3:24:41 AM CST, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] wrote:

Bob,

40' end-door auto cars were not all that common, though certainly not rare. I'm not an NKP maven, but I would suggest from the side sill treatment and the fishbelly underframe that this car is a rebuilt single-sheathed car. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Look at the car number though: 4321!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 12/16/17 9:14 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] wrote:

This photo, from Along the Right of Way blog, shows a forty-foot single door boxcar with end doors:

http://thecourier.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834ca83d669e2019b0395de91970c-pi

Was this an uncommon design?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA