Re: Pantone Numbers for Railroad Paints

Al Kresse <water.kresse@...>

Garth,

There is no good Pantone color for C&O Enchantment Blue . . . need DuPont code from Mr Rust.

Al Kresse

On December 24, 2017 at 5:38 AM "Garth Groff or Sally Sanford sarahsan@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Friends,

While exploring the ArtPrimo site ( http://artprimo.com/catalog/spray-paint-c-26.html ) I discovered that there are Pantone conversion charts for the various brands of art-quality spray paints they sell. Neat! As a can user, I would be interested in these paints for models rather than just the various oxide red primers sold at auto and hardware stores. That is, if I could match them to prototype freight car paints.

Has anyone ever compiled or discovered a Pantone list for common prototype paints used by various freight car builders or railroads themselves? I realize this would be a vast list, but certain paints used by say AC&F or Pullman, and on  Boles drift cards, are know by their brand names. Pat Wilder's article in RPC 3 on boxcar painting gives us mixes for 62 of these using the standard model paints available in 1999 (now sadly out of date due to discontinuances).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff