Re: Pantone Numbers for Railroad Paints

Randy Hees

Andrew Brandon and I have been doing paint research of mostly 19th century western narrow gauge equipment and buildings, and issuing color cards with PMS numbers... one example can be found at

We are currently working on a card for early box car reds as used by Central Pacific (CS 11, Metalic) UP (Rawlins Red) Tuscan red as used by the Carter Brothers and others, and Prince's paint (a brown...) used by D&RG, ATSF   and many others...

Printing color cards on a computer printer is not ideal unless the printer is carefully calibrated... but it is a way to transmit information.

Our color matches are based on forensic research on existing cars, on contemporary paint samples.

Randy Hees