Re: M3 stuarts on Soo Line flat car in Cincy photo

A&Y Dave in MD

I agree it's likely a RIP track, but those "tags" are not the reason, as they look like paper that can be found on just about any steam era freight car to indicate lading, destination, etc. You can see such paper tags on many cars in the regular yard even in this photo. The separation of cars, the fact a flat with two tanks is isolated with one tank not chocked fully, and the track adjacent to parts storage while separate from other yard tracks are much stronger evidence. I'm not convinced the poles can fit in the gon, and it is more that there is inadequate bracing or tie downs to prevent shifting that puts in on the RIP track. The shipper tried to put too much in one gon for the railroad's taste to minimize shipping, but didn't put enough bracing to prevent longitudinal shifting. I wonder if the Railroad was desperate enough for the business as the war time shipments wound down in '45 to just fix and deliver, or felt this loading was unfair and decided to either break the load into two goons or put proper bracing and charge the shipper?

Fascinating photo.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Dec 29, 2017, at 12:38 PM, 'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I had noticed the poles extending over the ends of the gondola. I had assumed the gon was loaded where shorter poles were at the bottom, and longer poles were loaded above those, making for an extended load that overhung the end of the car. Of course a shifted load is a much more plausible explanation!

For a gon load situation such as this, would the load be properly repositioned before moving further, or would the gon perhaps simply complete its trip with an impromptu ‘extended load’, possibly with some reinforcing of the existing restraints along with a spacer flat as a companion? It would seem like repositioning the load would be a lot of work and a lot of expense...

Claus Schlund

Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 9:33 AM
To: stmfc@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] M3 stuarts on Soo Line flat car in Cincy photo

Bruce,  

Now that I’m home and had a better look at the photo, I agree the car is sitting on a RIP track or
some form of it.  The Soo flat and the gon next to it both appear tagged and both loads have shifted.
Not to mention that the cars have been separated for easier access around the cars...

Mike Smeltzer

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, December 28, 2017, 'Bruce F.. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Mike,

What would make it more likely to be a hold track than an RIP track?  After all, teh RIP stores seem to be located immediately adjacent to the track in question...

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

STMFC@... <STMFC@...> on behalf of SooBaldwin@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2017 1:50 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] M3 stuarts on Soo Line flat car in Cincy photo

My guess would be a hold track based on the date.   The commodity (tanks) would no longer have a destination and have been moved to a hold track as the destination would no longer be valid...

Mike Smeltzer

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf <STMFC@...> wrote:

Note that I believe this car is on the RIP track... not sure why.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Gary Laasko said:
The wonderful picture of the B&O yard in Cincinnati in  1945:  https://www.american-rails.com/images/WWMILWSpud.jpg  has a M-15 boxcar (door opens to the right and its couple to the hopper car) just above the shed near the flat car with the two army tanks. 

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.