Re: M3 stuarts on Soo Line flat car in Cincy photo

A&Y Dave in MD

I agree it's likely a RIP track, but those "tags" are not the reason, as they look like paper that can be found on just about any steam era freight car to indicate lading, destination, etc. You can see such paper tags on many cars in the regular yard even in this photo. The separation of cars, the fact a flat with two tanks is isolated with one tank not chocked fully, and the track adjacent to parts storage while separate from other yard tracks are much stronger evidence. I'm not convinced the poles can fit in the gon, and it is more that there is inadequate bracing or tie downs to prevent shifting that puts in on the RIP track. The shipper tried to put too much in one gon for the railroad's taste to minimize shipping, but didn't put enough bracing to prevent longitudinal shifting. I wonder if the Railroad was desperate enough for the business as the war time shipments wound down in '45 to just fix and deliver, or felt this loading was unfair and decided to either break the load into two goons or put proper bracing and charge the shipper?

Fascinating photo.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Dec 29, 2017, at 12:38 PM, 'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I had noticed the poles extending over the ends of the gondola. I had assumed the gon was loaded where shorter poles were at the bottom, and longer poles were loaded above those, making for an extended load that overhung the end of the car. Of course a shifted load is a much more plausible explanation!

For a gon load situation such as this, would the load be properly repositioned before moving further, or would the gon perhaps simply complete its trip with an impromptu ‘extended load’, possibly with some reinforcing of the existing restraints along with a spacer flat as a companion? It would seem like repositioning the load would be a lot of work and a lot of expense...

Claus Schlund