Re: Loss Protection for our freight cars.

Tim O'Connor

True, although all the resin freight cars sold in the last 30 years probably
don't add up in numbers of kits to some single models such as the Intermountain
cylindrical covered hopper. Most of my built models are not resin, especially
the ones I've upgraded.

As several people have said, and I know from personal experience, a LOT depends
on your insurer. It's best to avoid losses in the first place! :-)

Tim O'Connor

Well, Brass Trains has been selling both Sunshine kits and completed resin kits by Westerfield and Sunshine.  Their data base documents value and they are selling railroad books, too.

Gary Laakso

In general, it's market value or msrp, but you have to be able to document it.
Since that's hard to do with a model you've built, you're pretty much stuck with
the cost of the parts, not labor. But after you account for paint, decals, trucks,
couplers, wheels, and extra details, it may be worth more than you expected!

Tim O'

One of the things I don't recall seeing mentioned is whether or not the insured
value will include just the kit (if kit-built) or the cost of having someone build and paint it.
Carl Gustafson