Re: Interesting Rock Island salt car

Richard Townsend

Volume 2011, No. 2 of The Rocket, the publication of the RITS, has an article titled, "Hauling Salt on the Rock Island" by Bill Riebe. It includes the photo at issue here. The car was built in 1927 by Bettendorf Car Company and rebuilt in November 1953.The RI converted 35 SS cars in 1952-53 specifically to haul salt, which according to the article is "very corrosive to metals and quite sensitive to moisture" and therefore required the cars to be insulated and have "nonmetallic corrosion-free interior surfaces." The insulation was two layers of Celotex covered with an interior layer of wood and was about 2.5 to 3 inches thick. The original sliding doors were replaced with 5 foot by 6.5 foot reefer-type hinged plug doors. The cars were lettered on the doors, "SALT LOADING ONLY WHEN EMPTY RETURN TO HUTCHINSON, KANSAS." All were off the roster by 1963. 

The article includes a photo of RI 133069 as well and suggests that these cars would be a good kitbashing project. I agree, but's not as simple as it might appear at first. The cars had 3/4 dreadnaught ends and it looks like a form of radial roof as well. The doors have only two hinges per side instead of the three we are used to seeing. Someone more familiar with RI freight cars might be able to provide more detailed info. The cars are from the 13300-133999 series.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Jan 15, 2018 7:52 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Interesting Rock Island salt car

Scott,

I see the picture is sold as being taken at Hutchinson Kansas. Since the
early 1900s, there have been very large salt mines in that area.
Hutchinson was served by the Rock Island. There is even a salt mine
museum in Hutchinson. As an aside, the excavated area of the salt mines
serves as an underground warehouse and where many Hollywood movie
pristine prints/negatives and TV shows are stored.

The excavated areas around Kansas City exist from limestone mining and
there are several large underground storage facilities in the Kansas
City area.

Bill Hirt

On 1/15/2018 12:07 AM, repairman87@... [STMFC] wrote:
> Found an interesting photo of Rock Island salt car on Ebay. Anybody have any background on it? Was this a company service car or did they deliver salt to customers in it? I think they mined salt around Kansas City but could be wrong there. Was this car built in this configuration or was it a modification the shops did to it? To bad the photo is with the doors open.
>
> https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302575596277
>
> Scott McDonald
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: repairman87@...
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.