From: Bill Hirt whirt@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Jan 15, 2018 7:52 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Interesting Rock Island salt car

Scott,

I see the picture is sold as being taken at Hutchinson Kansas. Since the
early 1900s, there have been very large salt mines in that area.
Hutchinson was served by the Rock Island. There is even a salt mine
museum in Hutchinson. As an aside, the excavated area of the salt mines
serves as an underground warehouse and where many Hollywood movie
pristine prints/negatives and TV shows are stored.

The excavated areas around Kansas City exist from limestone mining and
there are several large underground storage facilities in the Kansas
City area.

Bill Hirt