Re: Frisco Boxcar 163270

Eric Hansmann

Of course, this is dependent upon Era. I feel the sawtooth single sheathed box cars are a signature Frisco car, but I’m focused on 1926. Although there were only 1000 of those, the large FRISCO lettering attracted the eye.

YMMV.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 15, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Those Howe truss cars were THE signature car of the SLSF for many years.
An interesting feature of the wood sheathed cars was that the top 12" or
so (probably more) of the side sheathing was originally steel. So when they
were rebuilt (over 90 still in service in 1972) only the lower part of the sides
needed to be replaced, leaving a horizontal seam about 5/6 of the way up the
side.

SLSF also had taller Howe truss cars, 10 feet IH instead of 8 feet 6 inches.
I don't know of any models for the taller cars.

Tim O'Connor

 Ed, would you not say that the photo referenced appears to be exactly that, steel sides?

 Schuyler, Yes, I agree the car has steel sheathing. Regards, Ed Hawkins