Re: Tru-color paint

Bill Vaughn

What do you use as a primer, I have had no luck.

Bill Vaughn

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:50 PM, "Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I’ve never had “chunks” out of the airbrush with Tru Color. I mix thoroughly, but I haven’t needed to filter yet, but all my painting so far has started with a new bottle. Tru Color doesn’t like humidity. I paint only when the relative humidity is below 60%. The paint has to go on very slightly wet at the center of the spray pattern, and you have to overlap the wet part with subsequent passes. Light passes are best, and let it dry between coats. Spraying too thick and too close will cause it to run, as with any paint. Tru Color takes some getting used to! Adherence is a problem unless you prime before painting.

My only problem has been random lint on the painted surface. I think I’ve traced it to my sweatshirt. From now on, I’ll paint in a short sleeve shirt that has a hard finish.

Nelson Moyer

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:11 PM
To: stmfc@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Tru-color paint

I spent yesterday wailing and gnashing my teeth trying to get Tru Color to behave properly. Fail. I don't want to sound like a Negative Nellie, but I'm tired of fighting a losing battle. That being said, let me share some thoughts.
Xylene works as a thinner. I had hit and miss results with Acetone.
It seems the moon has something to do with how the paint goes through an airbrush. Sometimes it spits and comes out in little chunks. I don't know why this happens, even with their thinner. But to get it to flow right, I've found that I have to thin it so much that it takes the whole bottle to get half way coverage on a project. Total waste of money and time. Thank goodness the air is free.
Sometimes the sheen is shiny, sometimes it's acceptable. Maddening.
Yesterday, I was working on an S-scale wooden depot for a friend. I sealed the walls so that it wouldn't take multiple bottles just to get a decent coat of paint. The thing looked more like stucco after trying Tru Color Buff. No matter what the p.s.i. was set at, I couldn't get good results. Since the company is in my state, I'm going to go down there and sit in the lobby until they show me their paint works.
I picked up some Scalecoat II at Caboose Hobbies last summer. Wasn't thrilled with the results of that either.
"Floquil, why have you forsaken me?!?!"
Sincerly,
Frustrated Painter