Re: More reefers

Randy Hees

I was surprised to find PFE (and a few Santa Fe) reefers being used to carry plaster from Arden in Las Vegas to Los Angeles destinations in the 1915-1928 period.

Per Union Pacific depot records they dominated the trade.  Photos show reefers on the plaster plant's loading track.  On those occasions that shipments went east box cars were used.  The plaster in question was fine house grade.  I suspect that with Las Vegas only a week round trip away, that they were keeping the cars  close but busy with a "clean" cargo.

Randy Hees
Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City