From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:33 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Services of the Pullman Library

Fourth, all museums and libraries have to be vigilant against theft. Each has adopted policies to discourage theft, and abiding by such policies is part of the “cost of admission”. People who feel the rules don’t apply to them do arouse suspicion.

 Fifth, many of the drawings are not in good condition. Preservation of the information contained argues toward use of scans, not the original tracings, to minimize handling. It is also important to immediately return them to the correct storage location, as a misfiled drawing could be lost for decades.

    Oh, c'mon, Alex. I have been to lots of archives and libraries with rare materials, and of course there is vigilance against theft, and there should be. But how about a little common sense here? One rare book library I visited allowed you to examine one book at a time. Turn it back, and you get your next request. I have worked in archives that had photo prints in folders, and you had to go through them under the eye of a librarian, and in one place, the number of prints was noted on the outside of the folder. Easy to count.

     I know Ted Anderson a little and he seems a reasonable guy. But in my view, Dave Nelson's experience is out of bounds. II would call it a black mark on the Pullman library. Just my two centavos.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...

Publishers of books on railroad history