Re: New Model: Tangent GATC 1917-Design 10,000 Gallon Radial Course Tank Car

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

The new Tangent General American 10K tank cars include Sinclair!
I only need one for my small layout, and I immediately ordered from Tangent this morning. Since my sweetheart is a Sinclair descendant (no, not from the oil line), having Sinclair tank cars on my layout is good policy.

Accurate Sinclair and subsidiary UNPX tanks have been hard to come by up to now with only a few types available, and those representing mostly smaller lots. AC&F Type 11 8K in both high and low running board configurations are available from F&C. Jacketed and unjacketed AC&F Type 21 10K cars have been offered by Proto 2000.

I'm still hoping Tangent will do Sinclair in the next release of their 8K tanks. This was among their most common types (according to Richard Hendrickson's 1998 article in UNION PACIFIC MODELER, the best Sinclair article available). A pair would complete my needs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 4:34 AM, tangentscalemodels@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote (in part):

Tangent Scale Models is proud to introduce our next ALL-NEW freight car replica, the General American 10,000 Gallon 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car.  This is an ALL-NEW model that has never been offered before in HO scale plastic!  (Radial course means the tank’s steel panels overlap each other, looking like “stairsteps”).  This is our THIRD all-new 1917-Design radial course tank car design released – the previous two were 8,000 gallon designs, while this one is 10,000 gallons!

By the end of World War I, U.S. production of oil and oil-related products was sharply increasing thanks to the combination of war-related demands as well as demands from home.  In order to move oil and new consumer products, tank car producers introduced new car designs.  In 1917 General American Tank Car introduced a new general service 10,000 gallon non-insulated tank car.  Built in East Chicago, IN, these cars were easily identifiable by their circumferential rivets that surrounded the tank body, with notably different heights between the courses.  These “radial course” tank cars utilized steel bolster plates that rise up vertically to hold the tank in place, complete with a “web” section behind to minimize steel consumption.  At a time of fairly monochromatic box cars plying the rails, most consumable products and oil shippers proudly displayed their company markings on the tanks.  This car design was no exception, with Sinclair being a dominant purchaser of tank cars of this type.  Additionally, many smaller oil shippers had fleets of these cars during the oil boom years.  Finally, as many oil businesses failed, the cars ended up back with GATC and were restenciled with new owner markings and were placed back into service for a new owner.  Between Sinclair, Humble Oil, Hercules Powder Company, and other schemes to come in future releases, think of this as one of the first “crude oil” tank cars of consequence.  Forget boring present day tanks.  These cars were the most prolific tank cars built during the first tank car building boom, and were found everywhere from 1917 to 1970.

The Tangent Scale Models GATC 1917-Design 10,000 Gallon Insulated Tank Car starts exactly where our “state of the art” 8,000 gallon tank car left off, which we released in 2016.  Our highly-detailed tank car model includes details accurate for each paint scheme, including KC- or AB-brake variations, with or without Cardwell draft sill springs, and different hand brakes.  Other visually-distinctive details for our models include the “see through” bolster section, circumferential rivets, and differing course heights.  Our RTR models include correct “true-to-life” colors and “hyper-accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement.  Finally, our scale replicas operate as well as they look, equipped with free-rolling all-metal wheels and Kadee® scale couplers, meaning our models are truly ready to run.

Our new ready to operate replicas are available for sale now at www.tangentscalemodels.com and we are selling these cars at the Amherst Railway Society show in Springfield MA on January 27-28, 2018!

These replicas will certainly be eye-catchers on your layout!  Check out the radial courses – they look like nothing else in HO!  Our first stunning release includes the following three paint schemes . . .

- SRDX "Sinclair" 1947+ with beautiful “SINCLAIR” graphics on the side of the black carbody, with the small “REF’D OIL” stenciling to indicate the commodity hauled in these tank cars.  Sinclair tank cars were nationwide roamers for sure, and our model has the accurate silver color stenciling for Sinclair’s GATC fleet of 1917-Design tank cars.  Based upon the small brake stencil and tank psi test lettering, this car is accurately stenciled for service in 1947 and onward.  The car’s other lettering shows a 1920 car build date.  The expansion dome has the typical Sinclair silver “dot” stencil on it.  These cars are complete with an era-appropriate AB-brake system, matching the photo on the Tangent site, which displays a well-worn car in 1957.  These stunning cars are available in six road numbers.  And don’t forget, Sinclair had the largest shipper-owned tank car fleet in North America in 1950, with virtually all of them having large billboard lettering, so don’t miss out!