Re: Dry Flow Tank Cars ?

Douglas Harding

Thanks to Garth, I have the proper ARA designations, so I check my Jan 1941 ORER. No listing for the MSTL car, as I suspected. I doubt the contract was renewed after the original 10 month commitment. Among the information I received from Gene Green about the MSTL car, was a mechanical record for GATX 34000, dated 1-27-37. So this may have been the actual car leased to the MSTL. It indicates the car was built 2-17 by Warren, classed as LO and had a capacity of 10140 gallons. And was weighed on 10-36 at 46800.

In the 1941 ORER I found the following listed for General American in the tank car section, not under covered hoppers, with no indication of how many cars in each class.

LT 33000-33019

LT 33020

LT 33021-33030

LO 33031-33049

ARA EXP 33050

LO 33051-33054

LO 34000-34499

In the NMRA issued 1943 ORER was the number of cars in each class.

LT 33000-33019, six cars listed

LT 33020, one car

LT 33021-33030, six cars

LO 33031-33049, eighteen cars

ARA EXP 33050 reclassed as TL, one car

LO 33051-33053, three cars

LO 33054 reclassed as TM, one car

LO 34000-34099, two cars (note number series changed)

From the number series it would appear that General American anticipated building more cars than they actually did.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org