Re: Dry Flow Tank Cars ?

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford <sarahsan@...>

Dave,

I have no information on how these cars were classified in the early days, but LT and LTA are in my 1958 ORER as 'Class "L", Special Car Type'. Interestingly, this section includes "LO", covered hoppers, which were hardly special by 1958.

Or do you mean for billing purposes they were treated as tank cars, and we're comparing apples to oranges here?

I'm curious to know how many of these cars existed in earlier days. Clearly by the late 1950s there were just a handful, and the case of the empty numbers of the GATX cars, and the missing American Cyanamid cars, shows that some had already disappeared. I suspect that by the end of our period, LT and LTA cars were wearing out or becoming obsolete, and were replaced by LO covered hoppers.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/29/18 1:46 PM, Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC] wrote:

Because these were classified as tank cars (or so it seems), more detailed information may be found in the tariff books that Ian Cranstone has reproduced and published.  These provide a car-by-car listing, along with tank and dome volumes and (sometimes) other interesting information.

I see a subset of these cars in my 1936 edition.   For some, but not all, the tank volume is given in cubic feet rather than gallons.  GATX 31096-31099 have a footnote indicating they were for use with "Dry Arsenic" (I have no idea as to what chemical form).  Cars 33021-33026 were apparently general use; the footnote indicates "Dry Flow Automatic".  Car 33049 (1680 cu ft) was designated as a "Wet-Flo tank", which I would guess means it carried some kind of slurry.

I don't have the 1955 tariff, but several folks on this list do.  They should be able to look up the comparable information for that time-frame, which coincides with Jim's original query.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA