From: destorzek@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 9:41 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Seed Potato Shipments To Cuba (Waybills)

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Now this makes me wonder, why a shipper would bother with the longer rail-ship route through Milwaukee rather than rail-ship or rail-car ferry out of Florida?

Because it was an article of faith that water rates were always cheaper. That was the whole impetus for building the Seaway; bring ships into ports in the interior and cut the railroads out of the equation, at least on the long haul to eastern ports. Problem was, even as the Seaway was being built, labor rates were rising worldwide, and it wasn't too many years that shippers realized that rail rates were competitive with the cost of paying a crew for the two week cruise into the Great Lakes, and the Seaway traffic slowly died.

Dennis Storzek