Re: Richfield tank car lettering color

Barry Roth

Within the last few years there was a Richfield tank car on display at Travel Town in Griffith Park, Los Angeles. I know because I snapped a pic of it, not for modeling purposes but because the I hoped the ROX lettering would impress a certain Roxann. Relying on memory, I would say the lettering was white.

Unfortunately I can't find that image now (and Roxann and I are not all that close either) and have found none online. Maybe a member in the LA area could take a look.

Barry

On Feb 1, 2018, at 3:51 PM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Garth Groff wrote:

Does anyone know if there are Richfield archives? Perhaps there are surviving tank car lettering specifications. Successor ARCO is headquartered in La Plama, California, though it is now a subsidiary of BP.

       A decade or so ago, there were VERY complete Richfield archives in the old Richfield building in Los Angeles (a handsome black and gold Art Deco building, IIRC . . . black gold, get it?). Those archives survived the demolition of the old building and were moved to the new Arco skyscraper. But at that time, there was no company archivist who could supervise delving into the records, so no one was allowed to do so. Don't know if those archives still exist.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history