Re: Heinz Vinegar Tank Car

suvcworr <SUVCWORR@...>

To orient that for those not familiar with the area.   PNC park is now on the right side of the photo and Heinz field on the left.  Most of the area in the photo is now parking lot. Streets and North shore park.  The B&O tracks closest to the river are a rails to trails project.

Rich Orr

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Paul Doggett paul.doggett2472@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date: 2/2/18 08:01 (GMT-05:00)
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Heinz Vinegar Tank Car

Great photo Eric.

Paul Doggett UK 🇬🇧 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 2, 2018, 12:58 pm, Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Here's a 1923 image of the School Street yard on the B&O Allegheny Branch. Several Heinz pickle and vinegar cars can be seen.

http://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.231799.CP/viewer

Click on the image once it opens as you can zoom in pretty far. Note the pickle cars are not painted a light color in this 1923 image.. This yard and neighboring loco facilities were shared with the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh and was originally the Pittsburgh & Western.

BTW, if you know Pittsburgh and wonder where this is, the Pirates play baseball in PNC Park on this site now. The photographer is on the old Manchester Bridge and the Point is just off the image to the right. This is a mostly forgotten B&O branch that also served the Pressed Steel Car Company plant a couple miles down the Ohio River from here, just beyond the penitentiary. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On February 2, 2018 at 4:09 AM "richard glueck richard_glueck@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

As is the case in most circumstances, a Google search provided me with rough measurements and a host of Heinz RR car paint schemes.  I will try to post in the files section.

On Thursday, February 1, 2018, 9:39:16 PM EST, bergh.eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Allen,

Perhaps this view of a Standard Brands vinegar car may be of some help to you...
-Eric Bergh

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.