Re: tiny electric drills

Peter Hall

I have one.  It runs at 100 RPM, which is a little slow for drilling small holes, 500 would be better.  At such as slow speed, the change of breaking the bit is high.  Also, the optional chuck is a bit large for our purposes - I’d prefer one of those small brass chucks to hold small drills.

However, the MM “screwdriver” with the chuck and a reduced-shank drill bit like a 0.3mm carbide with a 1/8 shank does a nice job of drilling pilot holes.  I drilled a  lot of pilot holes with a pin vise, only to find out they are not perfectly where I want them due to wandering.

The MM assembly is accurate, and a slow drill bit is what you want when drilling pilot holes for stirrup steps and grab irons in resin kits.  Then I follow it with a Dremel flex-tool with the same 0.3mm bit set on about 1000 rpm.  Dip the drill in liquid detergent, find the pilot holes, and drill as many as you like very accurately.

Thanks
Pete

On Feb 12, 2018, at 6:17 PM, Charles Peck lnnrr152@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I do not know the speed of them but Micromark offers a battery powered "precision power screwdriver"
and an optional chuck that claims to hold down to 1/64" so it should be good for #78.
These might be slow enough as I wouldn't have much use for a 1000 RPM with a 1/16" blade screwdriver
bit.
Anybody have one of these to give us a report?
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:00 PM, Ken Adams smadanek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Agree with Steve Caple!

A low speed (50-500 RPM), cordless drill would be ideal for the type of drilling we do in resin and plastic.

Ken Adams