From: 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Feb 16, 2018 7:39 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Bulk clay

Kaolin and Bentonite are forms of clay, but I don’t think either of them would be  useable as clay for pottery.

Long ago, almost long enough to qualify as in the time period of this list, I recall seeing pallet sized cardboard boxes, open topped, maybe 24” high, filled with gray clay for use in potteries.  I didn’t see them in a railroad setting, but in an artist’s studio.  I remember thinking that was a very heavy load.  I’m guessing that multiples of these would have been shipped in a box car.

I don’t know the weight per cubic foot of potter’s clay, but I would imagine that a car loaded with pallets of clay would quickly reach the load limit of a car, rather than “cube out.”

Schuyler