Re: Lettering requirements

Tony Thompson

Steve Sandifer wrote:

When did the lettering requirements on the sides of cars change? In the 1880s the primary info seemed to be the ID and car #. Later other dimensions and weight were added and at different locations or in different configurations. I assume this was a federal requirement. Enlighten me please.

         Two points, Steve. First, I don't think much if any lettering was a "federal" requirement, though in years subsequent to this list there were certain federally required items. Second, the various railroad associations (MCB, ARA, AAR) put together a variety of "industry consensus" standards and recommendations from time to time. MANY items of lettering that modelers tend to think of as required were actually only recommended, thus you can find exceptions among railroads.
          That said, most railroads did follow recommendations as they were issued.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history