Re: Lettering requirements

Steve SANDIFER

I’d really like a copy of that material. Being a resin builder, getting decals right is an issue.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:30 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Lettering requirements

Stephen Sandifer asked:

> When did the lettering requirements on the sides of cars change? In the
> 1880s the primary info seemed to be the ID and car #. Later other dimensions
> and weight were added and at different locations or in different
> configurations. I assume this was a federal requirement. Enlighten me
> please.

The Master Car Builder's Association, a voluntary trade group, issued Recommended Practices and Standards for various
aspects of lettering, marking, and stenciling beginning as early as 1893. Early on, new practices were added and
revisions made in a near continuous fashion: 1896, 1901, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1909, 1911, 1913... but more significant
changes were introduced in 1920 and 1926.

I have been working up a detailed account of these changes, which I anticipate adding as an appendix to complement a
similarly detailed account of B&M lettering practices during the 1900-1930 period.

Earl Tuson