Re: Pantone Numbers for Railroad Paints

Greg Martin

We went through all of this on 12/27/3017 and someone has decided to bring it up. In the final analogy color is subject and it fades/reduces in value at distance and when you stand looking at a car at close proximity what you see is several distortions of the same shade depending on the time of day, direction of light, intensity of light and the angle at which you are standing and looking at the surface. Take an art class at the college level... o[en your eyes and you mind, listen don't talk and learn about how an artist achieves a painting with the use of color that is as refined as a photograph.

Munsell was developed for the paint industry just as RAL and Pantone for ink. Why would you bring a knife to a gun fight.

In my system of shading that I have used for 30+ years I think to express the realism that exists and convey that to our modeling. How you achieve that optical shades of color on your freight car is up to you, I just find it more permanent and easier to do with an airbrush  and people see like it and express a desire to learn how to do it.

If you want to follow along I plan to do a series of my methodology in the media and I will truly use lots of media and technique.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Sent from AOL Desktop

In a message dated 2/24/2018 3:27:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

That is all true. But Pantone colors are often the basis for paint company
colors. I know George Bishop (Accupaint) had a "rolodex" full set of Pantone
cards and used them for paint specifications for his paint manufacturer - and
later for color specifications to Microscale, after he stopped doing his own
silkscreening. The reason is practical: A manufacturer KNOWS how to recreate each
Pantone color. George had an excellent eye for color, so his choices were
within a tiny margin of error compared to actual prototype drift cards. The
human eye can't distinguish 16 million colors, and our color acuity drops off
rapidly with old age.