From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:27 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pantone Numbers for Railroad Paints

I'm late to this party, but have a few comments.

The original question was are there Pantone numbers for RR paints?
The answer is usually no. The reason is that there are only 1200 or 1400
Pantone colors.

Your computer screen with 24-bit RGB color (8 bits per color) will produce
almost 17 million colors (256x256x256 = 16,777,216). That's a lot more than
Pantone, but still not all colors.
Similar is true for CMYK printed colors.

There is no way for RGB or CMYK to produce the color Sodium Yellow, which is
a near single frequency of visible light (remember sodium vapor street
lights?). Same is true for the color of most neon signs and any LED -
neither the RGB nor CMYK systems can match them.

So we do the best we can with available materials and move on.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach, CA

Posted by: Dick Harley <dick.harley4up@verizon.net>